Site and Technical Manager
Full-time, 37.5 hrs per week
£27,000 per year plus 3% pension contribution
25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
The Site and Technical Manager plays an essential role in the delivery of projects within Wysing’s busy programme of residencies, retreats, exhibitions and events, and is responsible for the effective management of Wysing’s buildings and extensive grounds. The Site and Technical Manager communicates with a range of people including artists, the public, and contractors, and supports the Deputy Director in ensuring that all aspects of the site and programme are delivered to a high standard. The Site and Technical Manager is supported by the Caretaker/Housekeeper and a number of freelance technical staff.
Responsible to: Deputy Director
- Work in collaboration with Wysing staff and artists, alongside contractors, suppliers and others, to ensure that the necessary technical planning and preparation is carried out for all artistic activity at Wysing, and to give technical support, assistance and advice to artists undertaking residencies, exhibitions, projects and events at Wysing and at off-site locations where appropriate.
- Ensure Wysing’s site and buildings are safe, well maintained, fit for purpose and ready for use as required including, carrying out repairs, managing the cleaning, maintenance and security of the site, buildings, offices, artists’ studios and grounds, and the engagement and supervision of contractors.
- Work with the Director, Deputy Director and Head of Partnerships to implement site improvements that enhance artist and visitor experience and reduce overhead costs.
- Agree schedules of work with the Deputy Director and implement in a timely fashion and within agreed budgets.
- Work in collaboration with the programme team to ensure good forward planning is in place for the programme, and to ensure it is delivered effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure that artists have a positive experience of working at Wysing through good planning and a flexible and ‘can-do’ approach.
- Oversee maintenance and security of the site, including line management of the live-in Caretaker/Housekeeper.
- Maintain and develop a network of freelance technicians and specialists that Wysing works with to assist in delivering projects and site maintenance works.
- Work collaboratively with external programme and organisational partners on the planning and delivery of projects, where appropriate.
- Undertake management and budgetary responsibilities for site repair and maintenance.
- Maintain an inventory of tools and equipment and manage systems for the effective loan and hire of equipment and resources, such as the recording studio.
- Arrange regular maintenance and safety inspections of the buildings, site, site artworks, machinery and equipment, as required and in line with current legislation.
- Support the ongoing maintenance of IT for the organisation, working with other staff and external consultants.
- Support funding applications through soliciting quotes and providing information as required.
- Perform general administrative tasks related to the post and carry out other tasks reasonably requested in accordance with the post holder’s skills and qualifications.
- Support and inform the implementation and delivery of site improvements and development, in line with Wysing's Business Plan and Environmental Action Plan.
- Deliver all technical aspects of the artistic programme including supporting artists to make their work and realise exhibitions and projects, music and education programmes.
- Undertake the installation of all projects and exhibitions to the highest possible standard.
- Set up audio visual equipment for events, including online live streaming and the recording of events.
- Ensure technical support is in place for the recording and ceramics studios, and manage the repair and maintenance of equipment.
- Undertake repairs to site artworks, buildings and site where it is within the skill of the post-holder.
- Prepare rooms for meetings, workshops, private hires and other activities and ensure rooms are properly cleaned and maintained.
- Be the on-site first aider and ensure first aid boxes are kept up to date and stocked.
- Be the on-site fire warden and supervise weekly tests and regular fire drills.
- Ensure that all artists, visitors, participants at Wysing Arts Centre receive the highest possible standards of care and customer service.
- Work in accordance with Wysing Arts Centre’s Health & Safety and Equal Opportunities Policies at all times.
- Carry out other tasks reasonably requested by the senior management team, in accordance with the post holder’s skills and qualifications.
- A practical and positive ‘can-do’ approach
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to meet deadlines
- Able to work using own initiative with the ability to prioritise
- Able to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Able to be adaptive and flexible
- Experience of project or exhibition installation
- Experience of technical support to artists
- Experience of managing budgets
- A good level of computer literacy
- Willingness to work at height, and experience with the use of access equipment
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as required
- An understanding and empathy with the aims of Wysing Arts Centre
- An understanding and commitment to Health and Safety in the Workplace
A DBS check will be required for this role
The post-holder will be expected to work in accordance with Wysing Arts Centre’s Equality and Diversity Policy and within the organisations Health and Safety Policy
HOW TO APPLY
The deadline for applications is midnight, Monday 15 January 2018
Interviews will take place on Monday
29 January 2018 at Wysing Arts Centre.
Once you have set up a Submittable account you can return to your application any time up until the deadline which is 11.59pm, Monday 15 January 2018. Please allow enough time to approach us with any questions or queries in using the Submittable website. We are not able to accept applications after the deadline.
- Details of your previous employment and relevant work experience. Please list each employer and give a short description of your role. Please also include dates of employment and reasons for leaving.
- Information on how your skills, abilities, and experience match the key points in the job description and person specification.
- Information on what interests you about the post and working at Wysing Arts Centre.
- Your contact details
- Contact details for two referees
- A current CV
We will not accept CV’s alone and the application procedure must be adhered to in order to be eligible.
If you have any access or other issues that you wish to discuss with us before applying, please contact us on 01954 718881.