Hours: 15 hours per week (hours flexible)
Salary: £9.25 per hour
Reporting to: Head of Operations
Wysing Arts Centre, on the outskirts of the village of Bourn in Cambridgeshire, hosts a diverse range of artists from across the world who relocate to our rural site; from a short weekend visit through to staying over a period of months. This may include groups of up to ten artists alongside individuals. We provide accommodation, studio space and funding so that artists can work from Wysing to develop their practices, ideas and projects. Our five bedroomed, 17th century farmhouse, Wysing Grange, is at the heart of the site. Wysing Grange is also rented out commercially.
We are looking for a Housekeeper/Caretaker to look after the farmhouse; to ensure it is kept to a high standard of cleanliness, and to provide a hosting role in caring for artists during their time at Wysing. The role is responsible for cleaning, making beds and laundry, and for providing a warm welcome to artists and the public staying in the house.
The role also supports the Site and Technical Manager to ensure the farmhouse and wider site is well maintained and safe for artists and visitors to enjoy.
Housekeeper/Caretaker Main Duties
- Ensure the farmhouse and other onsite accommodation is clean, cared for, well maintained, and presented to a high standard for all visitors.
- Be the first point of contact for arrivals at the Farmhouse, welcoming artists-in-residence and other visitors to the site and maintaining contact with them throughout in the role of farmhouse host.
- Ensure the farmhouse kitchen is well stocked and prepare and cook occasional meals.
- Undertake a quarterly inventory of equipment and furniture in the farmhouse and working with the Site and Technical Manager ensure appropriate repairs are completed.
- Inform the Site and Technical Manager of any maintenance or Health & Safety Issues relating to the Farmhouse and general site.
- Monitor the farmhouse oil tank and advise the Site & Technical Manager when heating oil is required.
- Working with Wysing’s Curators and Site & Technical Manager to ensure that all artwork installed in the farmhouse is cared for and monitored appropriately.
- Support the implementation of and adherence to Wysing's Environmental Action Plan by monitoring and adjusting central heating systems as necessary and promoting recycling and other environmental initiatives within the farmhouse.
- Collect recycling from offices and ensure rubbish and recycling bins are put out for weekly collections.
- Assist in the daily security and safety of the site; locking up the site and buildings each evening and after events to ensure that all doors, windows and gates are secure.
- Undertake appropriate training to act as an onsite first-aider.
- In the event of an emergency out of hours, contact the appropriate emergency service, Site and Technical Manager or Operations Director as appropriate.
- Carry out other tasks reasonably requested, in accordance with the post holder’s skills and qualifications.
- Maintain high standards of professional delivery for everyone accessing our organisation including artists, partner organisations and visitors.
- The post-holder will be expected to work in accordance with Wysing Arts Centre’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy, Health and Safety Policy and may be required to have a DBS check.
Hours of work
Housekeeper Duties - (as agreed) £9.25 per hour (hours flexible)
Emergency call out between midnight and 8am @£10.00 per hour
- Good people skills
- Willingness to work evenings, and weekends as required
- Flexible, enthusiastic approach
- Good attention to detail and high standards of cleanliness
- Experience of hosting and ability to cook
- An understanding and empathy with the aims of Wysing Arts Centre
- An understanding and commitment to Health and Safety in the Workplace
- An interest in contemporary art
- Experience of maintenance and practical skills
- First Aid qualification
The full recruitment pack can be found here.
The deadline for applications is midnight on Thursday 18th July 2019.
- Details of your previous employment and relevant work experience. List each employer and give a short description of your role alongside dates of employment and reason for leaving.
- What interests you about the post and working at Wysing Arts Centre? Please use this section to articulate why you want to work at Wysing in this role.
- Information on how your skills, abilities, and experience match the key points in the job description and person specification.
- Your contact details.
- Contact details for two referees.