Wysing Arts Centre hosts many artists in-residence across the year in our onsite farmhouse and range of artist studios. We have developed this new short residency, entitled Amplify, for artists aged 18 to 25 years to test new approaches and ideas through workshops and talks, whilst also having time to develop their own work. The residency will take Wysing’s forthcoming exhibition, All His Ghosts Must Do My Bidding’ as a starting point for discussion and making.
This programme aims to reach artists with a range of practices and artistic approaches. We are particularly keen to support applicants who have not yet had access to similar programmes and artists with Black, Asian or minority ethnic heritage, those who are facing barriers due to difficult socio-economic situations, those living in rural Cambridgeshire and Fenland, and those who identify as LGBTQ+ or have disabilities. We ask applicants to make this clear when applying, if applicable.
What we’re looking for:
· This residency is for artists aged between 18 – 25 years.
· We are keen to support artists who live in Cambridgeshire and rural Fenland.
· Artists who want to test and share their ideas with others.
· Artists looking for inspiration to create new work. · We will be looking to develop a group working across a range of creative practice with an emphasis on digital media, for example, Visual Art, Music, Film, Video, Photography, Spoken Word, Game Design, or Animation.
What you will get out of it:
· Access to some of the most exciting contemporary artists working today who have experience in teaching.
· The opportunity to develop your own work and ideas.
· The opportunity to develop knowledge of contemporary art practice with a focus on digital media and sound.
· Free accommodation and working space at Wysing Arts Centre including an onsite recording studio.
· The opportunity to meet peers in a supportive environment.
· The opportunity to work towards a Gold Arts Award.
· Free tickets to Wysing Polyphonic, Wysing’s annual music festival of music and sound on 7 September 2019
· There are dedicated parking spaces for disabled visitors at the front of the site and step-free access to the Reception and Gallery.
· Due to the nature of the rural site, accessibility varies greatly according to location.
· If you have specific accessibility requirements, you can talk directly and confidentially to our Head of Operations, Ceri Littlechild. She will only share the information you provide with your permission. Tel: +44 1954 717104
How it works:
· The residency will run from Friday 9 to Monday 12 August.
· A timetable will be confirmed by early July, please expect to arrive at Wysing for 11am on the Friday morning, and depart by 5pm on the Monday evening.
· The residency will provide the opportunity for up to 8 artists aged between 18 and 25 years.
· The residency is free to attend.
· Accommodation will be provided for 3 nights from Friday to Monday in Wysing’s Farmhouse with some rooms with shared sleeping arrangements
· You will have access to Wysing’s Polyphonic recording studio for the duration of the residency.
· During the residency you will have opportunities to explore the exhibition ‘All His Ghosts Must Do My Bidding’ which takes place over the whole site
· During the residency you will work with artists practicing in their field through workshops and talks, whilst also having time to develop and test out your own ideas.